Wednesday, October 6, 2010

JOB INTERVIEW!

Basically a month ago, before SFI started taking over my life, I was haunting Arbetesformedlingen website on an hourly basis. The only (I'm not exaggerating here) job that I was remotely qualified for was a part time position as a yoga instructor. I figured, what the hell, I love yoga, I've done it on and off for several years, and since it's a gym that is connected/close to the University, I thought they would be more open to an English speaking instructor. So I applied, in English, and I wrote my coverletter about how I love yoga and what I would want to bring as a yoga instructor. I've had different teachers with different backgrounds and I know what I like and don't like in a teacher.

I basically forgot about it/assumed they weren't interested since it had been a month.

Until they just emailed me asking if I could come in and do some poses and chat.

I. Am. Freaking. OUT.

It's only for a couple days a week, but it's just so perfect, and it's yoga, and it's teaching, and it's a chance to meet people and take better care of myself at the same time. It's just so perfect.

I don't usually ask for luck online, but all positive thoughts for me and this job would be appreciated, greatly. It was a long shot anyways, and so now I have to go and prove to them that my Swedish language skills are not necessary to be a yoga instructor.

Now I need to work on my breathing. Just. Breathe.

<3 <3

6 comments:

thenext180days said...

GOOD LUCK! sounds like a fun opportunity :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck..
You might wanna read this http://welcometosweden.blogspot.com/2010/08/interviews-in-sweden.html about differences between US n Swedish job interviews

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a really big party pooper, while I am excited for you to have a job interview in Sweden and am happy you are so excited, I am not a believer that if you aren't a trained yoga teacher you should be teaching classes.

I really dont mean this in a disrespectful way at all. But what would you say if a student asked you about modifications for a specific injury? or what if they told you about a specific medical condition, such as arthritis, and how to work around that in their practice?

I think that just having a love of yoga is not enough to be a teacher. Certification is key, as yoga is not just about the poses.

Abby said...

Anon #2: I totally agree with you, and I know exactly what you mean. I was a bit shocked by having uncertified teachers on the advertisement, but I went to the interview today and it would involve a training course so I would be certified (at least in Sweden). Which I am relieved about, for the very reasons you mentioned. Yoga has been a part of my life now for several years and I've always wanted to learn how to teach yoga, and never had the chance or the time. This could be my chance, which I'm realistically excited about. Heck, I was just excited for the job interview. Being an immigrant in Sweden, not having a good handle over the language yet, and opting to not send in my application in Swedish, I'm still in shock she wanted to meet me. :)

And thanks for sharing your, completely correct, opinion. You weren't being a party pooper. :)


-And thanks to everyone else for the well wishes. :)

Angela said...

Hi I just discovered your blog and wanted to say I've enjoyed reading it. I recently moved from the U.S. to Sweden with my husband to work on a master's degree. I'd love to have a part time job, but like you I've assumed I need to work on my Swedish skills.

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...